Modification of Child Support or Maintenance

In Colorado, support orders for child support can be modified as long as certain statutory factors are met. A maintenance order may also be modified as well, so long as the separation agreement allows for modifications, either in amount or duration, and statutory factors also need to be met.

A party generally must file a motion before they can get the court involved in their case to consider the modification. In many cases, the parties may need to set their matter for mediation as a prerequisite to filing the motion. In many counties in Colorado, including Douglas and Arapahoe counties, the parties will be ordered to mediate their case prior to setting their case for hearing.

A post-decree action to modify child support or maintenance may result in a substantial modification of a party’s financial obligations, and it is worth looking into if one has any suspicion that the financial circumstances of a party has changed.