Located in Beautiful Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Town & Town LLC, The Attorneys of Highlands Ranch is based in the beautiful community of Highlands Ranch, Colorado.  It is centrally located between the courts in Arapahoe, Douglas, Jefferson and Denver counties. Highlands Ranch is an unincorporated district of Douglas County, Colorado, and contains close to 100,000 residents.  If it were to be incorporated as a municipality, it would come close to ranking as one of the top ten largest cities in Colorado.

Jeff and Heidi Town have lived in Highlands Ranch as attorneys since 2007.  Town and Town LLC is ready to assist you in your family law, divorce, child custody, or criminal defense case.  For more information, contact us today.


Divorce and Family Law Representation

Jeff and Heidi Town have years of combined experience representing clients in:
Child Custody
Property Division and Spousal Support Modifications

Town and Town LLC, the Attorneys of Highlands Ranch offers
• Free Phone Consultations
• Evening and Weekend Hours, in addition to regular hours during the week
Please call us today at 720-344-5168.

Years of Legal Experience Ready to Assist You

Jeff Town has been a licensed attorney since 2003, and he joins Heidi Town, who has been an attorney since 2006, as Town & Town LLC.  The attorneys have years of experience helping individuals and families facing divorce, entering child custody matters, and deal with the defense of criminal charges.  Jeff Town and Heidi Town practice both family law and criminal defense in Highlands Ranch, Colorado.

Call us today.

Child Custody cases in Colorado

A child custody case is referred to in Colorado as an “allocation of parental responsibilities” (or “APR” for short) case.  Colorado Revised Statutes 14-10-123 addresses jurisdiction of a child custody case.  A child custody case is started by a parent filing for divorce or legal separation (in which case the child custody issues are dealt with as part of the divorce or legal separation case, or by a parent filing a “Petition for Allocation of Parental Responsibilities.”  The latter case is done when the parents are not married to one another.

There are also some cases when a non-parent can file a child custody case or request to obtain parental responsibilities over a child or children.  In those cases, some additional jurisdictional requirements as well as standing requirements should be met.

In Colorado, whether the issue of child custody is dealt with in a divorce/legal separation case, or in its own APR case, the orders that the district court would enter are generally the same.  The court would be able to enter orders pursuant to the children’s best interests for parenting time, decision-making responsibility and anything else that should be entered into the parenting plan.  The court would also be able to enter orders pertaining to child support and financial issues pertaining to the child.

For a parent and child living in Highlands Ranch, for cases filed in Douglas County, Colorado, child custody cases are heard in the same divisions as divorce/legal separation cases and generally fall under the same procedural guidelines.  Both divorce cases and child custody cases are given the same “DR” (domestic relations) designation in their case number.  If you have a question about a child custody case, contact us today.